Thursday, December 8, 2011

Artifact bag

                                                                                      Artifcat Bag project!


Artifact #1 American flag
Topic: citizenship and Economics
*symbol of citizenship
*significance of flag
*what is freedom? Why is it important?
I chose the artifact of an American flag because it is important for students to know how the United States of America started and why we have freedom. Students should also know what the flag represents, the significance of the flag, and how the country has grown throughout history. To make the lesson fun I would incorporate a lesson about citizenship by doing a group project where students could design their own citizenship flag. Students can learn about our patriotic country by using patriotic songs, games, picture books, learning what a citizen is and how each and every citizen in society benefits themselves and others.



Artifact #2 American Money
Topic:Citizenship and Economics
. I chose the artifact of American curreny because it is important for students to know the value of money, where it comes from, and how to obtain it. Students should also know why they should save and when is it necessary to spend money,.

I chose this artifact because I would want to tie together the concept of being a citizen with artifact number one of the American flag and how American citizens must pay taxes as a responsibility of being a citizen. In order to pay taxes a citizen must have money which ties into economics and artifact number two of American money.


Do you think Artifact bags are important?
I believe that artifact bags are a great way to stimulate group conversation and get students excited about learning social studies. Students get to explore a new lesson by having something that is hands on or visual in order to get them excited and benefit from the lesson more. From my own personal experience as an elementary student, I remember that I would get very excited for a lesson when I knew it was something I could look at , see, touch, or feel because this was out of the ordinary and fun to learn about. Artifact bags are convenient and a creative way to get students involved in the lesson. I believe artifact bags will promote previous knowledge from the students and may have them brainstorm more to come up with new ideas about the social studies topic being studied. Overall , I plan on using an artifact bag throughout my social studies lessons as a future teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment